DUE: Thursday, October 7th
(LAST DAY TO TURN IN: Tuesday, October 12th)
- What are functional objects? Are they art?
- Why do humans create functional objects? What are some of the first known to modern man?
- Why do humans feel the need to decorate an object?
- How can one create a mood or emotion using the Elements of Art and the Principles of Design?
- Why do different non-related cultures produce functional objects that are similar to each other in form and function?
Mastery Objective(s): The student will…
- create a container that reflects the object “contained” through the aesthetic and conceptual manipulation of student chosen media and subject matter.
Idea/Theme of Studio Project to explore: BOXED
What are containers? Why are they needed? What are some different kinds?
What is contained? Feelings? Memories? Personality? Why do they all look different?
What is the message/story? Identity of self? culture? city?
What spills out of the story & WHY?
Why did you choose your materials? Are they found or made?
HOW DOES THE container relate to what’s INSIDE?
BRAINSTORMING/RESEARCH of Studio Project:
- Download PINTEREST app and set-up an account. Click the ‘HAPPY Pinning!’ link below for help setting up an account.
- You can pin, comment, and send message to your teacher through PINTEREST for response
- As a pair (partner with the person sitting next to you at your table):
- both of you find at least 3 different examples of BOXED ‘containers’ and at least 2 of them are from different cultures.
- comment on why the group found the container INSPIRING & PIN under a board titled ‘inspire’.
- send pins to ‘Tabitha Eller’ as you pin!
- create a container that reflects the idea/theme: BOXED
- create a container that reflects the object “contained” (student chosen subject matter) through the mood and feeling portrayed inside & out through the Elements of Art
- medium/materials: student chosen media using at least 2 sculpture techniques.