one need not look beyond one’s own face to find material
1. What is a self-portrait?
2. How have artists used various media and techniques to create their self-portrait?
3. How do artists use color, line, texture or a specific media to create mood and show their identity or personality in a self-portrait?
4. What influences an artist’s decision on what media to use in a self-portrait?
MASTERY OBJECTIVE(S): The student will…
demonstrate his/her understanding of the Elements of Art, Principles of Design and different mediums + techniques to create a self-portrait.
Create a self-portrait in a STYLE and MEDIUM of your CHOICE!
Step ONE: RESEARCH + EXPLORATION
- Research different ways artists have tackled the ‘SELF-PORTRAIT’. Here are some links to get you started…
- Create a PINTEREST account (if you don’t already have one) and board for this sketchbook assignment (you can name it what you like).
- Share the board with me.
- Research PORTRAITS through the following link (if you find some inspiring, pin them to your board):
- The board is a collection of portraits and art work that show what style, media, techniques, and/or processes you are interested in for this assignment. Show me WHAT INSPIRES YOU!
- pin @ least 10 images and 1 video
- Once you figure out what media or technique you are interested in, look up a few tutorials on youtube. For example, ‘acrylic glaze tutorial’ or ‘collage portrait’. You can pin the videos you like by clicking share under the video and clicking the pinterest button and choosing which board you what to file it under.
- Also, look up ways to set-up for a portrait or ‘lighting’ tricks or tips for taking a portrait.
Step TWO: REFERENCE PHOTO
- Take or find a pic of yourself that works for this assignment.
- Save pic in your art folder under GOOGLE DRIVE, name the file…
- SPyour name.jpg
- Submit the reference photo on CANVAS for a grade.
Step THREE: INVESTIGATION + EXPERIMENTATION
Play! Play around with different media, techniques and processes that inspire you. Tip: don’t draw your entire face to experiment…zoom-in on an area in your face, like an eye, to practice. Fill an entire page with different
Step FOUR: MAKE ART!