1. What is composition?
2. How can different mediums strengthen specific qualities and/or emphasize different Elements of Art and Principles of Design?
3. How can I create an interesting composition with an emphasis on positive space by ‘zooming-in’ on the subject matter?
Mastery Objective(s): The student will…
1. demonstrate their understanding of an open composition and the Elements of Art: line, value/texture + space, by creating a sketchbook drawing of multiple views of ‘zoomed-in’ perspective of a chosen subject matter.
- Symmetrical/Formal Balance- equal balance on each side of an imaginary middle line.
- Asymmetrical/Informal Balance- balance achieved through unequal distribution on each side of and imaginary middle line.
- Radial Balance- occurs when elements in a work are positioned around a center point.
EXAMPLE of taking a photo from another source and cropping to create a ‘ZOOM-IN’ version will be shown in class.
“Remember, no matter how beautifully you paint an object, it remains a mere study until it is artfully incorporated into a composition. Occasionally I’ve seen students whose paint handling is crude, whose home values are unconvincing, and whose forms are badly proportioned, but who somehow manage to unify their paintings and end up with a stronger artistic statement than those with sophisticated skills yet no eye for the overall effect.”
– Charles Sovek, Oil Painting, Develop your Natural Ability – (Watson-Guptill)
a. You will use several different mediums to render each different composition you have chosen.
EXAMPLES are provided for mediums (not all of the examples below are ‘zoomed-in’ adequately for this assignment!)
- graphite: use the shading technique, blending
- black sharpie: use weighted line to create a variety of marks
- color pencil: use layering + blending
- oil pastel
- watercolor and/or permanent pen and ink
- ink wash
- blending markers
OTHER MEDIUM OPTIONS: (more layers)
- Use different mediums on top of collages paper (example with kraft paper, book print + newspaper with graphite, pastel + color pencil):
a. Your final sketchbook assignment should be/have:
- 2 pages (a DOUBLE-spread)
- At least 6-8, different views, ZOOMED-IN, with different types of lighting creatively arranged between the 2 page spread
- At least 6 different mediums
- SKBK should show 4-5+ hours of work!
- create a quick thumbnail showing how images and mediums will be arranged!