Red day DUE Monday, October 16th! Blue day DUE Tuesday, October 17th!
1. What is MIXED MEDIA?
2. What is UNITY + how can I achieve it in my artwork when drawing various subject matter and using different mediums?
3. How do artists use value and texture to create FORM?
Mastery Objective(s): The student will…
1. demonstrate his/her understanding of the Elements of Art, value and texture by using both to create the illusion of form
2. demonstrate his/her understanding of mixed media and the Principles of Design, unity and balance, by successfully incorporating different subject matter and mediums into one sketchbook assignment
in order to…
to create an original artwork focused on the theme, ‘eye spy’.
\ mee-dee-um \
A medium refers to the materials that are used to create a work of art. The plural of medium is media.
the visual quality of wholeness or oneness that is achieved through effective use of the elements or art and principles of design
Unity occurs when all of the elements of a piece combine to make a balanced, harmonious, complete whole.
1. must use the whole sketchbook page ( 95-100%)
if your sketchbook is smaller: you must use a 2 page spread
2. must break-up space within composition into 6 sections
3. must follow prompts for each section; both with
a. subject matter and
4. must successfully use form, unity and balance in the work
5. provide reference photos – submit on canvas
***write the chosen prompts from below on the back of your sketchbook paper in pencil
Choose what you are going to use for each section and then plan out how you are going to break-up the composition into 6 sections
SECTION 1: a realistic human eye focusing on value + form with graphite (pencil + ebony pencil)
- must use a realistic photograph as a reference (not an another artist’s artwork, which is plagiarism)
- if you wanted to be completely original, take an extreme, detailed close-up of an eye of someone you know or yourself
SECTION 2: a realistic animal or insect eye focusing on texture + form with prismacolor color pencil or prismacolor color pencil and pen + ink (sharpie or pigma micron pen)
- must use a realistic photograph from below as a reference (not an another artist’s artwork, which is plagiarism) or if you wanted to be completely original, take an extreme, detailed close-up of an eye of your pet or a family/friend’s pet
OPTION A – you have the option of completing 3 – 6 with animal eyes with the required mediums below or continue with OPTION B – follow the prompts and media choices below
SECTION 3: choose from the listings of prompts below and use a medium of color (color pencils, pastels, oil pastels, Sharpies, prismacolor markers, etc.)
- junk food + the wrapper
- spicy food
- favorite childhood toy from memory
SECTION 4: choose from the listings of prompts below and focus on line quality with pen + ink (Sharpie or pigma micron pen) or graphite (pencil + ebony pencil)
- the objects in your purse, pocket or backpack
- multiples of 3
SECTION 5: choose from the listings of prompts below and focus on line with pen + ink (Sharpie or pigma micron pen) or graphite (pencil + ebony pencil) and one or two colors with either color pencil or water color
- Halloween costume
- your friend as a zombie
- art tools
SECTION 6: choose from the listings of prompts below and use of black or gray color pencil and (optional) with one to three colors
- paper bag
- creepy doll
- nature or a natural object
and bring it together with BALANCE + UNITY!