1. What is mixed media?
2. How do artists use a variety of mediums, but also have a strong, unified artwork ?
3. How are the Principles of Design, CONTRAST + EMPHASIS, used to strengthen a work of art?
Mastery Objective(s): The student will…
1. demonstrate their understanding of mixed media and how to use it successfully with the Principles of Design, contrast and emphasis by creating a two-page spread of an image inspired by Edgar Allan Poe.
mixed media: a technique and/or artistic process involving the use of two or more artistic media, such as ink and colored pencil or painting and collage, that are combined in a single composition.
contrast: the opposition of the Elements of Art to intensify each element’s property to create a dynamic effect.
emphasis: one or a combination of the Elements of Art is used to create more attention in the composition than anything else.
Step No.1: GET INSPIRED by Edgar Allan POE!
Research the man and his work! Click on the image below to be directed to the Poe Museum:
Step No.2: CREATE!
- a sketch on a 2-page spread
- inspired by Edgar Allan Poe, his work, or a combination of his work.
- use mixed media: more than one
- colored pencil
- use the Element(s) of Art:
- use the Principle(s) of Design:
Mrs. Eller’s example:
- How is the Principle of Design, CONTRAST, used in this sketchbook assignment?
- How is the Principle of Design, EMPHASIS, used in this work?
- Where is the focal point? or where does your eye go first?