For this sketchbook the option is completely open…so if there is something you have really been wanting to explore in your sketchbook, now is your chance! It is your last one for my class, so make it worthwhile 🙂 Take all the things that I have taught you this year and use them in this sketchbook.
2 PAGE SPREAD
If you are stuck, here are some things to get you going:
BLOG: “Woke Up with Ideas: Acting on Inspiration” …Here are 25 ideas for giving your art journals a “place to go.”!
1. Retro Journal– Kick it old school.
2. Body Parts- Each page focuses on one part of the human anatomy.
3. Empowerment- Quotes that give you mental strength.
4. Cards– Design a journal around your own version of cards: post cards, game cards, holiday cards, get well cards, sympathy cards, invitations, etc.
5. Brand X– Side-by-side- their logos vs your version of a logo for the same product.
6. Secret Hoarder– No need to clutter the house, do it in your journal.
7. Poetry in Motion– Use poetry to inspire your designs.
8. My Super Heroes– Mash up some crazy characters and give them outrageous names like Capt. Umbrella or Washer Woman or The Bulk.
9. My Obsessions– Things you obsess over, worry about, or have to have.
10. In My World– Create an imaginary world on each page.
11. Pissy Missy– Things that tick you off. Let it all out. Art is cheap therapy.
12. Life vs Art– Side-by-side layout of a photo and then your rendering of the photo
13. My Spin on It– How you would have designed it, worded it, framed it, dressed it.
14. Positive Affirmations– Only positive words to remind yourself of the good.
15. A Pocket Full– On each page use a different type of pocket to hold whatever.
16. Black and Blue– Only use the colors black and blue to journal things that hurt.
17.Question and Answer– Side-by-side layout. Ex: (on left page)why do birds sing?
(on right page) because they are free to fly!
18. Doodley Do– Only doodles allowed. period. Draw on each page with only one color.
19. Things I Own– Journal about where you got things from or why you bought it.
20. Sans Words– pictures only.
21. Bucket List– Things you want to do before you die. Be sure to have a box on every page so you can put a big red check mark in it as you complete each item!
22. Attitude of Gratitude– Things you are thankful for. Remember the small things.
23. If I Ruled the World– Rules you would make if you were the queen.
24. Song Lyrics– Use the title or a line or two. Or make each page a line from the same song. Songs you loved at different times in your life and why.
25. Movie Lines– Journal your favorite movie lines and create pages for them.
For example, Secret Hoarder, is a theme the author has listed. One of my students came up with the idea of showing what she hoards the most in her life – pictures. So using positive space she is going to overload her 2 page spread with photo transfers and on top of the photo transfers of her images she is going to draw in her iphone or camera.
EDIBLES: Draw your food!
MAGAZINE ALTERATION: Take a magazine image and alter it with sharpie markers or sharpie paint pens!
WHAT WOULD YOU KEEP IN A JAR?: Illustrate it!
WHERE ARE YOU? COLLAGE: Create a collage about your surroundings!
Are you still stumped? Go explore: