What is an icon?
How do the themes of Identity, Community, Spirituality and Locality relate to each individual?
What are the Principles of Art: Balance, Emphasis and Unity?
What is a relief sculpture?
Mastery Objective(s): The student will…
use the themes Identity, Community, Spirituality and Locality to a create a multi-layered personal icon with mixed media to visually represent themself.
The icon must be a relief sculpture with at least 3 layers of dimensionality. Use the Elements of Art: Space, Form and Shape to create a work of art that has a clear focal point and achieves the Principles of Design: Balance, Emphasis and Unity.
1. the equilibrium of various elements within the work of art. Arranging elements to create VISUAL STABILITY so that no one part overpowers, or seems heavier than any other part.
- Symmetrical/Formal Balance- equal balance on each side of an imaginary middle line.
- Asymmetrical/Informal Balance- balance achieved through unequal distribution on each side of and imaginary middle line.
- Radial Balance- occurs when elements in a work are positioned around a center point.
1. when one or more elements are combined in such a way to create more attention; the focal point.
1. the arrangement of all the visual elements in a composition to create a feeling of completeness and wholeness.
STEP No.1: INSPIRATION and INFLUENCE
- View and learn about the art of Betty LaDuke
STEP No.2: BRAINSTORMING
- Create brain map of yourself with the 4 main themes:
STEP No.3: THUMBNAILS
- Create 4 thumbnail sketches of different ideas to explore your best option.
STEP No.4: FINAL SKETCH
- Choose your best thumbnail to create a more detailed sketch of:
- Must include:
- Sketches of icons
- Color scheme
- Mixed media choices
- Description and plan for 3+ layers
- Description of how personal icon uses the 4 themes
STEP No.5: MATERIALS
- Bring in 2-3 sheets of 18″ x 24″ inch foam board
STEP No.6: FINAL DRAFT
- Get final sketch approved and begin the final draft on mixed media paper
- Complete the 2-D mixed media work of art
- These images below show how the student creates the different layers of the relief sculpture and then combines the 2-D art with the foam board to create the relief sculpture.