1. What is weaving?
2. What are the similarities + differences between craft + art?
3. What are the principle of design, unity + variety?
4. How can we use them to make a a collaborative cd weaving project pleasing to the eye?
5. What are some implied meanings in the process and final result of the collaborative project as a whole?
Mastery Objective(s): The student will…
1. demonstrate their understanding of weaving by using a cd and yarn to produce circular weaving and the Principles of Design, unity + variety, to produce a visually strong collaborative wall hanging.
1. where all parts of a composition come together and support each other to make one, unified image 2. a sense of wholeness in a work 3. parts of image must relate to each other through subject matter, appearance, size, shape, texture or color.
TOO MUCH UNITY CAN BE BORING
1. the diversity of art elements and design principles found in a composition 2. opposite of unity 3. everything screams for our attention, but nothing captures it
TOO MUCH VARIETY CAN BE CHAOTIC
Unity and Variety are two principles of composition in art, and they are two driving principles of community as well. The weavings are as individual as the people who made them, beautiful and unique. And I see their beauty increased when they are joined in the larger piece, part of the larger community. We may only see the colors and textures of the weavings, but the CDs contain data and information, much like the hidden, inner story of the individuals around us.
For a link to her blog click here.
Or if you are a more visual person and need a video tutorial here is another resource from youtube –
STUDIO PROJECT REQUIREMENTS:
- Quantity: 5 weavings with at least 2 colors minimum, no maximum
- EXCELLENT Craftsmanship
- Your name + class period on the back in sharpie
Photographs from our classes to come…